Fish/Pregnant goldfish?

I apologize if this is a silly question in the world of fish  but I,m concerned abott it.  I have a ccmet feeder fish that I've raised for years.  She's several years old and about 8 inches long now.  She seems healthily and eats well but she is huge around the middle.  She has been for sometime now,  I thought she was going to lay eggs last summer but she never did.  At one point the other fish were chasing her but they stopped.  I purchased one one of those mats for the bottom of the pond but she is still huge which leads me to believe she didn't,lay any eggs.  I'm not sure what to do to help her.  She is quite the little pet to me not just a fish.  Do you know what I should do?  Thanks very much.

Hello Susan, sorry for the slow reply. Everything should be fine if your fish had the same thing happen last year. Even if a goldfish gets gravid with eggs, there is no guarantee that she will lay them. A good indicator that they are eggs is if the belly is a little darker than the rest of the body and looks swollen. If you have any further questions, just ask me and I will do my best to help you out!  

Jordan Gobely

I can answer most questions about fish care and maintenance. I am not an expert on saltwater aquariums but I am researching more about them on a daily basis. I have kept many different tropical freshwater fish as well as cichlids. Brackish water is my weakest category but if you have a question feel free to ask and I will do research on it myself.

I have kept fish for over 10 years. I am also an employee at a pet store and the head of the fish department. I am going to school at Emporia State University and studying biology with a concentration in ecology and biodiversity for undergraduate work. Right now my job is to care for and maintain the fish department at a local pet store. As far as water quality, I am well versed in different practices you can do to help improve conditions and what levels to look out for when testing the water.

I am majoring in Biology at Emporia State University and have researched fish reproductive behavior for the past decade.