Fish/Discus PH

Question
Hi Ron---I just bought 2 new young Discus and they don't like the high PH of tap water.  I added "pH decrease" a few times but the pH remains like 7.2-7.4.   What's the best way to lower the pH of my tank?  (they're expensive & I don't want to lose them)

Thanks.

Larry

Answer
Hi Larry,
 Discus are rather sensitive fish so the most important thing is that any adjustments you make to water chemistry, such as pH, you do gradually. I suggest you add more of the pH decrease over the next week or so to see if you can get it down to 6.8 or something like that.  Then over time try to get it a little lower.  Do NOT try to get it down to 6 in a few days.  That will most likely kill the discus.

-- Ron C.
  rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
  Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>

Fish

Ron Coleman