Fish/Betta male & females

Question
QUESTION: Hello Ron

I have recently set up a small 25 litre aquarium to house 1 male betta. I was thinking of adding female(s), but all the information I have read seems very conflicting on whether this is possible.

I know it can be down to the personality of the male in cases, but can you tell me what you would/wouldn't recommend? Or is it all simply trial & error?

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Chris,
  If you put a female in with a male betta he will naturally try to mate with her. If she is ready to mate, then they will, at which point you should take the female out.  After she has laid, he no longer wants her around and will kill her to get her away from the babies and his nest.  Similarly, he will react aggressively towards her if she is not interested in mating in the first place.  

-- Ron C.
  rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
  Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply Ron.

Does the harem system work with bettas or will he simply attempt to kill all the females in the tank? Or would the females fight with each other?

Alternatively I could add the female/females to my community tank but there is a male dwarf gourami in there. Will he attack female bettas?

Thanks for your assistance.

Answer
Hi Chris,
 I am very sorry for the delay in answering.  If you put any female bettas in a small tank with a male, he will attack them once he has kids to care for.  The females will not generally fight with each other.  The male dwarf gourami will probably not care much about the female bettas unless he is guarding eggs. If he is guarding eggs, then he too can  attack anything that comes near the nest.

-- Ron C.
  rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com

Fish

Ron Coleman