Fish/Goldfish Disease

Question
Goldfish tumor
Goldfish tumor  
My tank is 29 gallon.  I have 6 goldfish that have grown to an average of 8 inches each.  Filter is an Aquaclear 70.  I don't know where to find a replacement bulb for my hood, so I am using a cheep light.  Needless to say, I have a nasty tank unless I change the water about every 4 days and clean the filter as well.  Maybe the bulb I am using is causing the algae (brown) problem, or maybe the tank condition could be responsible for my fish's malady.  I obviously need some expert advice on a few levels.  The photo below is not my fish, but a photo I found on-line that is very similar.  He has 2 of these tumors.  They are the color of his body and growing large...Thank You!!

Answer
Hi Valerie,
 Unfortunately I am not an expert on goldfish, but I can tell you that goldfish do get these sorts of tumors quite regularly.  There really isn't anything you can do about it because basically it is a cancerous growth. Many fish live a long time with such tumors.  

That said, you really need to get a larger tank. You have a lot of fish in not very much water and that is not a good thing and could lead to even more problems.

-- Ron C.
   rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
   Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>

Fish

Ron Coleman