Fish/very sick goldfish

Question
my goldish
my goldish  

my goldfish
my goldfish  
I have had my goldfish for 5 years now and he has always been very happy and healthy.all of a sudden he stopped eating and his body became very swollen. Now for the past 24 hrs red stringy mucous is coming out of his anus which is very red and enflamed. Is there anything I can do for him I am desperate to save him. He is in a 30 litre tank and am in the process of upgrading him to a 50 litre.

Answer
Hi Verity,
  Unfortunately I do not know much about goldfish. It certainly appears like your fish has some sort of intestinal infection.  In some places, there are medications which you can purchase to help deal with this sort of thing, but many other places have outlawed those medications so I do not know what is available in your area.  Sorry.

-- Ron Coleman
  rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
  Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>

Fish

Ron Coleman