Fish/dalmation molly

Hello i have 3dalmation mollys and they are not eating any more.. I had to change them from three different containers because i broke the tank from trying to clean it but now i have a new tank n they havent took one bite of food i feed them tropical flakes.. And lik you said they are hiding just floating in one spot n coming up to the top from time to time its looks lik they want food when they come up but they only stay for a while and go back down n and hide.. Wat does this mean are they going to die??

Hi Amber,
 Often when fish are moved they stop eating for a while, even a week or more.  Be patient. Make sure that you remove any uneaten food from the water because that will cause all sorts of problems.

-- Ron Coleman
  Cichlid Research Home Page <>  

Ron Coleman

I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.

I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)