Fish/Help with my cichlids

Hi Richard, I'm fairly new to having cichlids. I have a parrot,red devil, jack Dempsey, jewel, and an Oscar. My nephew recently gave me a flower horn and a red devil. Well, his red devil kept attacking the flower horn that day and the next morning the Oscar was also attacking it. Sad to say the flower horn died. Since that day, all of the fish are way more aggressive. I changed a few things around in the aquarium but didn't seem to help. I've had my fish for over a year now and don't want to lose any. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Ronda

In Cichlid tanks, there will always be aggression, there is no sure way to stop it. Things that help are rearranging tank decorations, adding new decorations and creating additional territories, make sure there are enough hiding places in the tank for each fish, and getting a larger tank. If the aggression is severe enough that you think you may lose another fish, then you will need to separate them to different tanks.

I've had the same Cichlids in a tank together for years and they are still aggressive with each other, though they rarely make contact, usually it's just a chase. There are very rare occasions when I have to stick a net in there to break up a fight.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with fish and aquariums

HSG 2010-2011 prof