You are here:

Fish/water circulation


new tank
new tank  
I just set up a hexagonal 30 gallon and have a hang on back 20-40gal filter. The tank is over two feet tall. I'm not sure if I will have adequate circulation in bottom of tank?

Hi Aaron

There are 2 things I can suggest doing. 1)You can get an extension for your intake tube so that it reaches close to the gravel and 2) invest in one or two a powerheads and place near the gravel to circulate the water near the bottom of the tank. These can be purchased at any pet store and are relatively inexpensive.

Hope this helps you, good luck!



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard Hight


I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.


Many years of personal experience with fish and aquariums

HSG 2010-2011 prof

©2017 All rights reserved.