Fish & Seafood/Tripoly Sodium Phosphate usage

I would like to know recommended usage rate for Tripoly when soaking or thawing fish fillets.

Thank you

I wouldn't recommend using it.  It is used by the refined foods industries for the sole purpose of adding water weight to seafood like scallops, shrimp and fish.  It gives the seafood a soapy flavor and alters the ability to cook it properly.  It is widely used as an additive in detergent.  Unless you are a packing company looking to make more money by making foods retain more water, I would stay away from it.

Hope this helps,

Fish & Seafood

Chris A. DiNunno

I can answer questions regarding the preparation of seafood as well as most general culinary questions.

I've been in the seafood retail and restaurant trade for 38 years. I owned my own restaurant for 22 years (150 seats, 2 locations) as well as a catering operation.

Past member of American Culinary Federation

Seafood Leader Magazine

Johnson & Wales University, N. Miami, Florida, Associates in Science, Culinary Arts.

Previously Certified Executive Chef (expired), ACF Competition Medalist