Fish & Seafood/Frozen Fish

My dad caught Snapper and froze them in batches. 1st batch he froze in a container in water, it is not dated. 2nd he froze in a baggie, not air tight and is dated 9/2012.  Which, if any, would be best bet for cooking?

Hi, sorry it took some time to get back to you, busy at the restaurant!  It all depends on the quality of the finished product.  If there is any sign of freezer burn, then the quality is compromised.  In the baggie, if there are ice crystals or discoloration of the flesh of the fish then it's probably not good.  The only way to check the quality of the fish frozen in water is to completely thaw it and check the fillet.  Either way the one that looks and smells closer to fresh like it came out of the water is the best one to cook.
Good Luck,

Fish & Seafood

Chris A. DiNunno

I can answer questions regarding the preparation of seafood as well as most general culinary questions.

I've been in the seafood retail and restaurant trade for 38 years. I owned my own restaurant for 22 years (150 seats, 2 locations) as well as a catering operation.

Past member of American Culinary Federation

Seafood Leader Magazine

Johnson & Wales University, N. Miami, Florida, Associates in Science, Culinary Arts.

Previously Certified Executive Chef (expired), ACF Competition Medalist