Fish & Seafood/Baking Salmon

QUESTION: I like frozen salmon in individually wrapped pieces. Those with skin on I bake on aluminum foil. In two instances the skin stuck to the foil which was easier to clean up. But usually it sticks to the fish. What am I doing wrong?

Also, what is that white "toothpaste" that comes out of the fish when it bakes?

ANSWER: Hi Alden. The white stuff is 'coagulated protein' and you can minimize it by quick brining the salmon for 10 minutes. Use a tablespoon of salt per cup of water, then rinse and dry the fillet. I think the sticking problem can be taken care of with a light spritz of cooking spray on either the foil or the fish. Good luck!

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was hoping to find out how to get the skin to STICK to the aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Just fold it up on the skin and chuck it. I've succeeded twice but haven't been able to do it again.

Hi Alden, in the words of Gilda Radner, that's very different!  The only thing I can think of is to make sure everything is very dry.  Two other options would be to skin it first or do what I do - eat the very nutritious and tasty skin.
Hope it works.

Fish & Seafood

Chris A. DiNunno

I can answer questions regarding the preparation of seafood as well as most general culinary questions.

I've been in the seafood retail and restaurant trade for 38 years. I owned my own restaurant for 22 years (150 seats, 2 locations) as well as a catering operation.

Past member of American Culinary Federation

Seafood Leader Magazine

Johnson & Wales University, N. Miami, Florida, Associates in Science, Culinary Arts.

Previously Certified Executive Chef (expired), ACF Competition Medalist