Fish & Seafood/shelf-life of pre-cooked chicken?

Hi Chris -

Well, this is probably the most pedestrian question you'll ever get :-)   I bought some roast chicken breasts at the supermarket 2 days ago.  I plan to reheat them in the microwave.  Just wondering how long I can prudently keep them in the fridge before tossing them as 'not fit' - ?  My past experience indicates 5 or 6 days, but I'm interested in your judgment.

Thanks -  Mark

Hi Mark - I usually go no more than 5 days.  There's a lot of variables so it's hard to be more specific, it would all come down to how much cumulative time the chicken spent between 41 and 135 degrees from the time it was prepared from raw until the time it was reheated, which should be no more than 4 hours total.  That's all too much, so as long as you reheat the chicken to 165 degrees, it should be safe.
Thanks for your question - Chris

Fish & Seafood

Chris A. DiNunno

I can answer questions regarding the preparation of seafood as well as most general culinary questions.

I've been in the seafood retail and restaurant trade for 38 years. I owned my own restaurant for 22 years (150 seats, 2 locations) as well as a catering operation.

Past member of American Culinary Federation

Seafood Leader Magazine

Johnson & Wales University, N. Miami, Florida, Associates in Science, Culinary Arts.

Previously Certified Executive Chef (expired), ACF Competition Medalist