Fish & Seafood/paella

I am planning to buy a charcoal BBQ and I want to make paella. My paella pan measures 18" in diameter but if you include the handles it is 22". Should the entire pan, including handles, be under the BBQ cover when it is cooking? or can the handles stick out? (The handles are metal.)  Or is it better to keep the paella uncovered when BBQing it?

Hi David,
I'm not a BBQ expert, but I'm thinking the whole pan needs to fit inside in order to generate enough heat to cook the rice. However I have seen paella cooked outside on an open grill, but the pan was set very close to the fire and surrounded the pan as opposed to sitting on top of the grill. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Fish & Seafood

Chris A. DiNunno

I can answer questions regarding the preparation of seafood as well as most general culinary questions.

I've been in the seafood retail and restaurant trade for 38 years. I owned my own restaurant for 22 years (150 seats, 2 locations) as well as a catering operation.

Past member of American Culinary Federation

Seafood Leader Magazine

Johnson & Wales University, N. Miami, Florida, Associates in Science, Culinary Arts.

Previously Certified Executive Chef (expired), ACF Competition Medalist