Fish & Seafood/paella

Question
I am planning to buy a charcoal BBQ and I want to make paella. My paella pan measures 18" in diameter but if you include the handles it is 22". Should the entire pan, including handles, be under the BBQ cover when it is cooking? or can the handles stick out? (The handles are metal.)  Or is it better to keep the paella uncovered when BBQing it?

Answer
Hi David,
I'm not a BBQ expert, but I'm thinking the whole pan needs to fit inside in order to generate enough heat to cook the rice. However I have seen paella cooked outside on an open grill, but the pan was set very close to the fire and surrounded the pan as opposed to sitting on top of the grill. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Chris

Fish & Seafood

Chris A. DiNunno