Fishing/american fork and hoe co all metal rod

Bob wrote at 2008-04-29 00:11:16
I have two rods meeting a similar description.  One is square tapered steel bought about 1930.  It is very stiff.  The other is round and was bought later.  I've also seen hexagonal rods but am unaware of the manufacturer of those. My father(the original owner)considered the round and hex rods to be inferior as they were much lighter and less stiff.

I've seen the square one bent nearly double without damage while attempting to land a fish.  My father said that he was offered $500 for it in the 1980's.

Steve Smith wrote at 2014-12-06 22:56:27
If you Google that patent number you will find the original patent application filed August 22, 1927.  It appears that the patent was granted or issued on April 15th (vs. 25th), 1930.  The graphic associated with the patent shows a drawing and the name of the designer and patent applicant, Robert Cowdery of Geneva, Ohio.  The patent is assigned to American Fork & Hoe, so he may have been an employee, or just sold the design to AF&H.  I also have one of these rods.

Fishing

Joe Douglas