Fishing/Golden gate

Donnie wrote at 2010-06-03 18:43:53
I have an Identical Fishing Rod No 158 golden gate quality fishing tackle.Old timers tell me it was made in early 1950's

daniel scott heinrich wrote at 2010-06-20 06:51:25
This is great! I live in Somerset, Ca, and just pulled an old rod case out of garage that belonged to dad, thought it was all fly rods, but found 1 spinning rod labled "golden gate quality fishing tackle" it has a distinct red cap on bottom of cork handle and is of very good quality.  would agree it was made in the 1950's  as all the fly-rods were also from that era.

Scott Seger wrote at 2013-08-03 00:09:18
I have one with a yellow cap at bottom of cork and can't read the model number.

Dennis wrote at 2015-08-13 23:34:11
I have a modle #44 four piece pack rod. Fly cast combo at 8foot.cork handle with black cap...

Thibeinn wrote at 2015-12-02 14:42:10
I searched thru the US Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). There is no "Golden Gate" associated with fishing rods. An extensive Google search turns up nothing on a "Golden Gate" company which made fishing rods which means there never was such a company anywhere on Earth. I just bought one off of eBay which was advertised as being vintage and upon receiving it, I noticed three things which prove it's not a vintage rod. One, the line guides have no inserts. Line guides have had inserts since at least as far back as the late 1800's. Two, there is a 3 inches length of PVC on the rod. PVC has never been used for any part of a fishing rod. Three, the rod is clearly recently made as it is far too "right out of the factory" in appearance. My opinion is that "Golden Gate" rods are fakes manufactured most probably in China and sold under the false claim of being vintage rods.

Donnie, I believe those old-timers said your rod was made in the early 1950's because the style of the rod you have is like the style made back then. Thus it "looks" like a 1950's style rod.

Daniel, I believe your father acquired the rod you have somewhat recently and placed it together with his 1950's fly rods.  

Thibeinn wrote at 2015-12-02 14:44:50
I searched thru the US Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). There is no "Golden Gate" associated with fishing rods. An extensive Google search turns up nothing on a "Golden Gate" company which made fishing rods which means there never was such a company anywhere on Earth which legitimately made them. I just bought one off of eBay which was advertised as being vintage and upon receiving it, I noticed three things which prove it's not a vintage rod. One, the line guides have no inserts. Line guides have had inserts since at least as far back as the late 1800's. Two, there is a 3 inches length of PVC on the rod. PVC has never been used for any part of a fishing rod. Three, the rod is clearly recently made as it is far too "right out of the factory" in appearance. My opinion is that "Golden Gate" rods are fakes manufactured most probably in China and sold under the false claim of being vintage rods.

Thibeinn wrote at 2015-12-02 14:47:22
In my previous reply where I said "An extensive Google search turns up nothing on a "Golden Gate" company which made fishing rods which means there never was such a company anywhere on Earth." I had meant to say...

An extensive Google search turns up nothing on a "Golden Gate" company which made fishing rods which means there never was such a company anywhere on Earth which legitimately made them.

I had accidently left off "which legitimately made them."

Fishing

Joe Douglas