Fishing/Action-Rod Orchard Indusries Ic., Detroit 12, Mi

bludrag wrote at 2010-02-09 01:02:24
I purchased two Action Rods in the late 1940's. One is chrome with white plastic grip trimmed in Maroon 6, in length the other is solid maroon 5 1/2' in length plain steel.  The chrome rod cost $35 back then and the other $24. The grip cap could be sent to the company with 50 cents for engraving of the name. I ended up in the army and both are still in the attic unused and unengraved. I have a Phlugar Akron here on my desk as a paperweight bought at the same time.  

Jim wrote at 2012-01-24 05:29:26

Interestingly, i have a similar rod that you describe.  Owned by my father when he was young, the rod still has its original wood storage case for the single piece rod tip and the original canvas cover for the handle and wood case.  my rod is also stamped on the but with me fathers name.  i don't know if this is custom but stamping the name was anice touch.  i was exploring what a rod like this might be worth, too.  any insights from anyone?  

pinecone wrote at 2012-03-19 00:38:59
I have a similar rod made by Orchard in Detroit. It has my dad's name on the butt plate

jepheri wrote at 2013-05-30 16:18:15
I also have this rod (with the name "C. Scofield" on the butt cap) with the original canvas bag and wooden rod holder. The butt section unscrews from the actual square rod and both are stored in the canvas bag, with the rod lying in a 1.5" wide by 1" deep +/- wood piece with holes drilled out for the eyelets to set into. The actual rod I don't believe is stainless, as I have heard some mention, as magnets stick very well to mine, so I assume it is chrome plated steel.

Mine had a Pflueger Summit reel attached as well, when I acquired it.

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.