Fishing/Sakura Fly fishing kit

Don Scheffler wrote at 2012-11-22 00:16:54
I don't have the answer to your question, but my cousin has had one of this kits exactly like what you discribed. He would never talk about selling it, and said he had never seen another one like it, nor have I. Today he mentioned that it crossed his mine to selling it. Anyway I wound up bringing it home with me. It is perfect in every way, and is definately not a junk trinket. If mine turns out to be worthless, then I will keep it just because I really like it.

kelly wrote at 2013-03-02 19:45:40
We also have one just like you describe.  It looks nice and has never been used.

Nam Leatherneck wrote at 2013-03-19 17:46:15
I used to have  Sakura Rods with a balsa case. It contained both a fly and casting rod.  In the top part of the case were the flies and lures that slid open to the right and or left. It contained flies and lures and an old red fishing line roll up device for line.

My dog decided that he liked it more than I did and he was angry with me at the time. Love the dog and he was only a pup and teething at the time. Upset at the loss of the rod and case but what a great dog. He also got my rough out cowboy boots as a chew toy, in his mind.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.