Fishing/Rod Values

Jim wrote at 2012-05-02 01:14:03
Al Ellis was a custom rod builder  for many years in Phoenix AZ.  Prior to 1960, he worked at  the Paul Young shop in Michigan, and then for a few years at Phillipson in Denver.   From the early 1960's until his passing  about 1963,  he was regarded as the premier custom rod builder in Phoenix.  He made fiberglass, graphite, and bamboo rods.  He built all types, including fly, spinning, cating , and even saltwater.    In the 80's and 90's,  he used Graphite USA blanks, and built many rods with boron - graphite blanks.  he had some small catalogs out,  i have one,  and also had a charcature of him smoking a pipe and fishing.  A motto he had was -- take a kid fishing,     he was friends with some well known fishing persons including Joe and Mary Brooks, and Dave Whitlock.  I ended up acquiring leftover rod building parts, blanks, etc from his estate and have some of his personal rods.  

Scott W.Ellis wrote at 2012-12-05 06:41:00
Al Ellis died in 1993, I know this sincee was my uncle.....Scott W. Ellis

Fishing

Joe Douglas