Fishing/True Temper rod and reel

John wrote at 2014-10-10 00:55:46
Grew up in Southern Maryland, saved up a bought my first 63 in 1965 from Cabelas in Nebraska, mail order. I caught literally thousands of Large Mouth Bass,Blue Gill and even Northern Pike(Canada Trips)I wore the square wound springs out four times. The red 63 was awesome with 10 lb test or less. But there was also a larger Green one that I thought was a "66", Held up to salt water fishing as long as they were rinsed out, Used them in Canada for Pike. Has anybody seen or have posession of any of these? Many of my fondest childhood memories were made at the ebd of this rod and reel combo. John

Joe Douglas

I can answer questions on custom rod building and rod restoration and rod repair for bamboo, graphite and fiberglass fishing rods. I also have experience in estimating the value of vintage rods and determining the original manufacturer.

I operate a custom rod building business providing fly rods, spey rods, casting and spinning rods in bamboo graphite and fiberglass. I also operate a custom rod building school where myself and other professional rod builders teach individuals to build custom rods. I have a personal interest in vintage rods and have a small collection of reference books and articles which often help shed light on the origins of the older rods.

Rod Builders International, Rod Builders Institute

Web Site:,,

BS, Business Administration, University of Tulsa

I have a large number of individual clients for whom I have designed and built custom fishing rods of all types. I also have two commercial clients for whom I build private label rods, one in the USA and one in Europe.