Fishing/metal antique telescopic fly rod

jim howe jr wrote at 2014-08-09 14:48:47
Everyone keeps referring to these metal telescoping fishing rods as fly rods. Nothing could be further from the truth:  Altho I currently live in AL, I am a Vermonter. This type of rod was the one that we, as kids, ALWAYS used when fishing for trout on the small streams of VT. You can telescope it all the way out for wide streams or partially close it without limiting the line action for "close in" fishing where branches and other undergrowth hindered your fishing action. Rarely, in such close quarters, were you able to use an overhand "toss" and rather had to rely on a side 'flip' to get your worm where you wanted it. We didn't 'play' our fish, instead flipping them onto the bank and rushing over to claim our prize. Because they were,primarily, made of steel, they stood up to the rigors of "child use'. I'm, currently, looking for one in good condition because I'm in the process of moving to Maine and expect to experience the same type of fishing there.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.