Fishing/Muskie Rod Goes Salty

Hi Marc,

I got a lead on your hangout here from the folks Jackson Lures. I was wondering what salt water application you would envision for the 6'9" muskie rod you build.

Hi George,

Actually, that 6-9 is no longer available.  I  can do all kinds of other weights and actions and still do a spiral wrap.

As far as a musky rod for salt water, I am not sure what type of saltwater fishing you are doing.  Musky rods are very heavy action designed for casting large heavy lures (2-5 ounces)and setting large hooks into the tough mouth of a musky.

If you are interested in the spiral wrap aspect, there  are probably custom rod builders in your area that can do that for you.

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.