Fishing/South Bend Reels

I have several South Bend  closed face under the rod reels, models Spin 11 & Spin 22.  They look like Shakespeare models 1730, 1732, & 1735.  Can you tell me anything about them?  Were they Made by Shakespeare?

Thanks  -  Bill Braun

P.S.  I was referred to you by Marc Wisniewski

Hi Bill,

Sorry, but my knowledge of vintage reels is very limited.  I am not familiar with these and I do not have any reference material on either type.

You might do some searching for online discussion forums specializing in reels.

Thanks,  Joe

Joe Douglas

I can answer questions on custom rod building and rod restoration and rod repair for bamboo, graphite and fiberglass fishing rods. I also have experience in estimating the value of vintage rods and determining the original manufacturer.

I operate a custom rod building business providing fly rods, spey rods, casting and spinning rods in bamboo graphite and fiberglass. I also operate a custom rod building school where myself and other professional rod builders teach individuals to build custom rods. I have a personal interest in vintage rods and have a small collection of reference books and articles which often help shed light on the origins of the older rods.

Rod Builders International, Rod Builders Institute

Web Site:,,

BS, Business Administration, University of Tulsa

I have a large number of individual clients for whom I have designed and built custom fishing rods of all types. I also have two commercial clients for whom I build private label rods, one in the USA and one in Europe.