Fishing/value of rod

Joe-I rec'd a sage fly rod from dad when he died and I'm trying to find out what the value might be, if any. The only markings is on the handle 699 GFL it's 9'9" 3 piece graphite. It's in mint cond. and may not have ever been used.
Thank you for whatever info you can get me

Hi Don,

Actually, this rod is a bit too modern for my expertise as I tend toward the antique and older stuff...but, I think it should be about $200 or so on today's market.  You might do some comparisons on the various online auction sites or even check the Sage site for better data on current value.

Sounds like a nice rod.  You may want to keep it and use it.  It would be a good reminder of your dad.

Thanks,  Joe

Joe Douglas

I can answer questions on custom rod building and rod restoration and rod repair for bamboo, graphite and fiberglass fishing rods. I also have experience in estimating the value of vintage rods and determining the original manufacturer.

I operate a custom rod building business providing fly rods, spey rods, casting and spinning rods in bamboo graphite and fiberglass. I also operate a custom rod building school where myself and other professional rod builders teach individuals to build custom rods. I have a personal interest in vintage rods and have a small collection of reference books and articles which often help shed light on the origins of the older rods.

Rod Builders International, Rod Builders Institute

Web Site:,,

BS, Business Administration, University of Tulsa

I have a large number of individual clients for whom I have designed and built custom fishing rods of all types. I also have two commercial clients for whom I build private label rods, one in the USA and one in Europe.