Fishing/Wright Mcgill Trailmaster 6 1/2 ft

Question
QUESTION: Came across at a garage sale got it real cheap.  Has an Aluminum tube and the No is one of three tries JTMS / 4TMS / or UTMS ???
  Its is in 4 pcs in a green canvas bag.  just wanted to know more about it ???

ANSWER: Hi Jim,

The model is 4TMS which I think stands for 4 piece Trailmaster.  It is a fiberglass rod and should have a reversible handle system so the rod can be used as a fly rod or as a spinning rod.  Many of them come in an aluminum tube which helps protect the rod when backpacking or riding into fishing water on a horse or 4-wheeler.  They are pretty popular rods here in the mountains.  Value would be in the $10-$50 range depending on actual condition and where you live.

These rods work fairly well but they do seem to function better in the spinning role than in the fly role...at least for me.

Thanks,  Joe

QUESTION: Thanx  I had heard somewhere that Pre WWII fishing rods were the ones in the aluminum tubes.  After that they were in plastic.  Guess that puts that myth to rest ?!?

Answer
Hi Jim,

Many different rods prior to WW II were sold in aluminum tubes...also in cardboard tubes and prefit round holders.  Many rods built today are still sold in aluminum tubes.  There have been plastic tubes used post WW II but I suspect aluminum provides better protection and is more widely used.

The W-M Trailmaster is a fiberglass rod.  Fiberglass was developed commercially after WW II and early fishing rod use of fiberglass began in the late 1940s and early 1950s.  The Trailmaster most likely began to be sold in the 1960s.

Thanks,  Joe

Fishing

Joe Douglas