Fishing/fishing rod

I have a 5 piece fry rod in which I have had a couple of people look at it that was unable to tell me about it only that it is from England 1800 and it has a silver band that has a lion and shield and the letter R also the letters T&S on it would like to know if you have any ideas about it thank you

Hi Kevin,

Sounds interesting.  Can you send me some photos of the rod?  Send them to and I'll review them for you and see what I can find out about the rod.

Is it a wooden rod?  A date of 1800 is a bit early for split bamboo (even across the pond) but maybe not out of the realm of possibility.  Greenheart wood or whole cane would be more likely.

Photos will help a great deal.

Thanks,  Joe

Joe Douglas

I can answer questions on custom rod building and rod restoration and rod repair for bamboo, graphite and fiberglass fishing rods. I also have experience in estimating the value of vintage rods and determining the original manufacturer.

I operate a custom rod building business providing fly rods, spey rods, casting and spinning rods in bamboo graphite and fiberglass. I also operate a custom rod building school where myself and other professional rod builders teach individuals to build custom rods. I have a personal interest in vintage rods and have a small collection of reference books and articles which often help shed light on the origins of the older rods.

Rod Builders International, Rod Builders Institute

Web Site:,,

BS, Business Administration, University of Tulsa

I have a large number of individual clients for whom I have designed and built custom fishing rods of all types. I also have two commercial clients for whom I build private label rods, one in the USA and one in Europe.