Fishing/fishing rod

Question
I bought a sears and robuk ted williams boat and pier rod it has an ocean city big game reel on it.  Did these rods come with that reel and what type of line should i pit on it?  The reel has no 605 on it can you tell me anything about it.

Answer
Hello Joe and thanks for the question.

The Ocean City 605 was designed for fishing coastal "Big Game" but not quite what one might envision as "big". The reel as you may have noticed has trolling harness lugs on the side plates where one would clip into a shoulder harness to help put pressure on larger fish. The reel was well built and for it's day, a good work-horse. They were very popular in the late fifties and early sixties.

The reel was actually designed for linen line. This model was specifically designed for 9 thread linen which is roughly 27 lb. test. (linen was measured at about three pounds of strength, when wet, per thread.) Linen was weak when dry but VERY strong when wet. The International Game Fish Association used this line as the standard for many years until Dacron and then monofilament lines became the rule and testing methods became standardized.

If your reel is in good shape and the drag system is smooth, it should still be very useable for offshore trolling for anything from large stripers to white marlin. Just remember that the newer drag systems, construction methods (ie. side plates of old "Bake-o-lite" and spool strength and construction, one piece vs two) and materials make today's reels much stronger and more efficient and effective on large, fast fish. So you will have to adjust your tactics and style of fishing to match the tackle, not just the fish.

The rod? I have not been able to locate a description of the Ted Williams rod you mentioned. Perhaps a model number or any other markings might help us to see if the rod and reel are a match. If they are and the fiberglass (solid?, Hollow?) is not fatigued or "crispy" and the guides, wraps and reel seat are in good shape, take it fishing!

If you choose to fish with the rod and reel, JUST BE VERY CAREFUL WITH LINE...I would encourage using Dacron with mono leaders and NOT monofilament as the main line...and while what I am about to tell you can happen with both Dacron and mono, it is a little less likely to happen with Dacron:

These lines stretch under pressure, like that of a large fish pulling a hundred yards or more off the reel. As you wind the line back onto the reel under pressure, it then relaxes and expands pushing outward on the spool with huge force! If the spool gives, then the side plates of the reel will likely follow and BANG, the entire reel will pop and break beyond repair! SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Also, when you put line on the reel, do it manually, not on a winding machine in a shop. You will need to pack it tightly enough to keep from "cutting" into the spool of fresh line and binding but not so tightly that you stretch it and cause the catastrophic problem I just mentioned.

Most "Ted Williams" brand rods (Built for Sears and Roebuck by Montague and others) were simply endorsed by Ted Williams, the .400 hitter from baseballs past that was a very outspoken and talented angler and outdoorsman. His name stamp in the '50s and '60s meant the product was high quality and affordable for the everyday "Joe"...no pun intended!

So Joe, I hope that helps a bit on filling you in about the Ted Williams Rod and Ocean City reel.

Good fishing to you!

Mark Rimmer

Fishing

Mark Rimmer