Fishing/lake michigan shore fishing

I have recently read your article in Midwest Outdoors (October 2012 issue) about Lake Michigan shore fishing. I found it to be very informative. I really want to do this some day. Your info will be used in getting started. What shore line areas, breakwalls, piers, etc. have you found to be the best?? Or areas that are good for beginners?

PS Awesome brown thats in the picture with your daughter!!

Hi Mark,

Beginner or veteran, the name of the game is being where the fish are.  Do some scouting or read some fishing reports and be on the best spot at first light and that will be your best chance for the day.  This fishery is constantly changing and keeping up with them is recreational science.  

So be on the water at the best time with some proven lures and good things happen.  If nothing happens and you don't see others doing anything, have a plan B and C.  Here in Milwaukee we have the luxury of 20+ shore access spots to try.  Some cities only have a few places to try. Fish windy or wavy areas rather than calm ones.   

If I had to have three lures, I'd have a 2/5 Cleo, Green and silver... a #8 Shad rap, silver with a black back, and a 4.5" regular Thunderstick in gold flash (color #183).  I'd also consider 3/8th ounce bullet head jigs tipped with 4" white Gulp minnows.  Those will work when nothing else will at times.

A spinning rod with fresh 8# line and you are set.

If I knew a little bit more about when and where you are going to try I could be more specific.  Let me know.  Its not too late....  We are still catching fish from shore.

Good luck,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.