Fishing/old fly rod

My mother-in-law has a Horrocks-Ibbotson Co. Canada Creek flyrod that was my father-in-laws (he is deceased).  It is in excellent condition. It probably hasn't been out of it's tube in many, many years.  Unfortunately, the rod is not available at this time to take a pic to send your way.  Any suggestion as to it's value?

I might say something different if it is a 2 piece rod under 8 feet.(FYI when you ask someone for the value of a bamboo rod send as many details as you can,(i.e. length ,number of sections or detailed description of the labels/logos)

Two very important assumptions are that the reel seat is below the cork handle and the rod has 6 flat sides, not round.

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.

Homel gives the Horrocks-Ibbotson Co. ""Canada Creek" trout fly rod 8' with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $25, 75 and $135 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively. If it is 9 footer -value is a lot lower.

They averaging 50-80 on ebay.

It is not very valuable.
H-I rods  are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were sort of mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.
A small portion of these rods are decent fishing tools . It is the collector community that decides the prices , please  don't blame the messenger.
I find another book that is available at larger libraries to get history on bamboo rods is  Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair
History H-I

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.