Fishing/Repairing Garcia Conolon rods

I have a Garcia Conolon B501-D.  Everything is tight on the road..wrappings, line guides...except the hook holder at the top of the handle.  The wrapping is tight but the epoxy is beginning to crack and potentially flake away.  Can this be repaired in some fashion?  Would I want to remove the old epoxy before applying new?  And what products would I use to remove and reapply.  Is there a technique for doing this other than great care and meticulous application.  If you can not help me, can you point me in the direction of someone who could?

You might be able to take care of it yourself but I recommend you get guidance.
Your local fly shop will have someone who can do it or teach you in a class.
It is easy to scratch the rod finish when removing the epoxy so, yes great care and meticulous application is required. Usually I can get a piece of the old epoxy and peel it off in one piece. Sometimes a very sharp knife is needed to get it started. I have done similar repairs and I covered scratched finish with thread.
You need a jig and experience to rewrap the guide or hook keeper.
Then you use 12-24 hour epoxy to cover the thread.
Finally you spin the rod while the epoxy dries at low RPM like 1 RPM- there's another jig /tool needed for this. You can see these jigs at
The rod is turned continuously as the epoxy dries so that centrifugal force maintains the epoxy in a cylindrical shape.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.