Fishing/Vintage Rods

I have recently received two fly fishing combos from a neighbor who passed last month. His wife knows nothing about the rigs so she asked me. Now I am asking you, cause I don't know. They both look brand new.

1.  Scientific Angler System 10 Rod 9Ft 10 Weight. i think it circa early 1970's.  With a Pflueger Supreme 755 Fly Reel with case.

2.  Shakespeare WonderRod KwikTaper Professional FY500A 9Ft 9Wt
   Circa late 1960's. With a Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 reel.

He bought the rods for trips to BC and Alaska but she does not remember him fishing on the trips. She approxamated the time he got them.

Hello Kevin,

Forgive the tardiness of an answer...oh man, the Holidays!

Truth is, you have already answered your own question with the information you have provided.

The scientific anglers set-up is considered heavy and is old-school-perfect for larger king and silver salmon as well as fall run steelhead. If it is graphite, it is probably more from the eighties or nineties versus the '70's but if fiberglass (as I am suspecting), your guess is exactly on target. The combo should be very useable.

The WonderRod  with the Medalist reel is a wee-bit lighter and would be a good fit for someone interested in fishing the same fish as above but a little more useful for slightly smaller fish than the Scientific Anglers set-up will take. This rod and reel will also be fun for someone that wants to learn the basics of fly fishing for the largemouth bass. 8 or 9 weights are perfect for casting big bass bugs and landing a pudgy, scrappy  ol' bass.

It sounds as if this set-up is also very useable if in good condition but the physical weight of the rod is one of the main reasons for the modern graphite and composite rods we see today...she was darn heavy and tough to cast all day long.

Both rods, for their time were at or near the top of their game and it sounds as if your buddy may have had some incredible experiences with them...may we all be so fortunate.

So I hope this helps a bit if you are interested in valuation, please visit They may be able to assist you with this.

Thank you for your question.

Good fishing to you!

Mark Rimmer

Mark Rimmer

I have been actively fishing for forty-five years! For nearly 15 of those years I was able to fish nearly 200 days per year. Those wonderful days have left me with a plethora of knowledge to share. I have fished from the Marianas of the Pacific to the quiet tidewaters of Virginia and North Carolina, Antigua the gulf coast of Texas and many places in between. My home waters are those of the west. I am passionate about bass fishing, tournament as well as recreational. In addition, I am well versed in fishing for most other species...(Okay, although interesting, I'm not an expert on British or European style competitive carp fishing...chumming with a slingshot anyone?). I am intimately acquainted with the San Diego County Lakes, Diamond Valley reservoir in Riverside County California and numerous other exciting fishing waters from Texas (Travis County) to the Pacific Coast and south to Cabo San Lucas. I have many years of experience in blue-water as well as inshore angling of all types in Southern California with both artificial and live baits; high country fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of my beloved Golden State with nothing but a backpack and a fly-rod. There are still a lifetime of adventures to undertake, together with my lovely wife, Christine. I am an expert rod smith and have vast experience with both the construction and repair all types of rods including split bamboo (new or vintage) and hickory as well as graphite, boron composites and all types of fiberglass. I spent 20 years in the retail business of which 6 were spent owning and operating a successful tackle shop, specializing in custom rod making, rod and reel repairs and a full scale tackle selection. Uncommon topics I love to discuss: Fisheries Management; Tackle Shop/ retail management; Ethics and responsibilities of anglers; Repair and maintenance of rods/reels; "How to"...any topic in fishing.

I took a few years off,(5 to be exact) from answering questions for but I'm back now! My experience? Forty-Five years of bio-observation, fishing numerous types of waters with virtually every type of tackle: Casting, Fly, Spinning, Offshore/blue-water, Coastal, Surf, Tournaments: ( Bass, Local Saltwater), Alpine lakes/streams, ditches, canals, sloughs, marshes, creeks and swamps; if there is water, I usually throw a cast or two. Tackle Shop ownership and management, Expert Custom Rod Construction and repair (Big-game, Long-range stand-up, Live bait, jig sticks, Casting, Spinning and fly- including split-cane). I have personally constructed over 700 custom rods of all types...nearly half of the rods the shop turned out. I also have performed hundreds of reel repairs of all types- antique to modern. I do not typically offer valuation of tackle. This is very difficult without inspecting the tackle first hand and leaving valuation far to subjective. I will be happy to offer other experts for placing a value on your tackle.

NRA forever...(Gun rights...Guns and fishing rods belong together right?), belonged to BASS for most of my life but keep forgetting to renew. I like Trout Unlimited but again, keep forgetting to renew...gotta more tank of gas and some fresh line...or memberships? Hmmm.

None yet...why aren't they chasing me?

"Roads" Scholar. Life-long independent study of fisheries biology, ichthyology, aquatic/marine biology, ecosystems, angling techniques and observations of animals, fish and humans: both smart guys and knuckleheads.

Self-Proclaimed tackleshop of the year! The California Tackle Box- Oceanside, Ca.

Thousands served!