Fishing/want to know

I have a very old bamboo fly rod that I got about 35 years ago and it was about 15 to 20 years old then it came with a Olympic 450 reel 3 pieces and I don't know where it was made or how much its worth can you help?

Hi Gary,

We would need to know more about the brand of rod to value the rod.  Joe Douglas on this site
is the expert on old bamboo rods so you could ask him about this.

The reel is worth about $15-$30. It's not a bad reel and would work fine for trout or panfish on a 5 or 6 weight rod.

Good luck,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.