Fishing/whirlaway rod

Question
I found a whirlaway fishing rod while cleaning our farm garage,it's a Great LAKES 75. Can you tell me anything about this rod and what it was used for? Thank you !

Answer
Hi Joe,

The rod/reel combo is from the 1950's, made in Detroit I believe.  I was sort of a novelty item and could probably be used for any of the smaller gamefish like trout or bass.  Right now it's more of a collectors item.  They sell on e-Bay for $50 to $100 and if they are new in the box they can go for over $200.  

Its a great conversation piece and would look great on a den wall.

Good luck,

Marc

Fishing

Marc Wisniewski