Fishing/fly rod

Question
I have a #115 9'- 2f H D Hoe E  Heddon Premier Bamboo rod...I would like to know the value and would like to sell ASAP. It is in excellent shape.

Thank you

Gary Nelson  

Answer
Gary
I have seen over a hundred Heddons.
I like to be honest with folks so don't take this as criticism or judgement. Almost everyone says their rod is in excellent condition, mint or unused. It's rare that they are accurate- look at the last 10 questions to me on this site. About 1 or 2 out of 10 are correct. Send pictures to macsrods@yahoo.com, I'll show you what I mean, in detail.

The following evaluation is based on the assumptions that precede it.

Assumptions:
1 The rod has flat sides -not round.
2 The  reel (seat)is below the cork handle
3 "#115 9'- 2f HDH or E not "#115 9'- 2f H D Hoe E" is written diagonally across the flats on the largest / butt section.
4 You have put the rod together ,ferrules hold and 3 sections together measure 9 feet.

Authorities in print that support my position.:
Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 #2nd edition 2000#
add about 30% for age of book.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook   by Michael Sinclair

Evaluation:
Heddon was an average quality and value rod maker, often sold at Sears.
I date your rod from 1948 to 1954.

Longer rods like yours, command less value than shorter rods.
Homel gives the Heddon 8 1/2 ft  model "115 Premier fly rod" with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $85, 215 and $425 for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.

I see 5 completed Heddon 115 of various lengths, conditions and description qualities on ebay.
Average price they sold for was 282, high 410 and low 140. That seems high to me but I can understand as lots of Christmas sales happened for me one on  ebay in the same time frame.

So 300 if your assessment on condition  is accurate, but how many bamboo fishing rods have you seen?
Excellent means
#1# Fine, original finish
#2# No missing sections or components
#3# No breaks, fractures, dirt or wear
#4# Shows evidence of only minimal use
#4# Original bag and case with tags and labels
#5# All 4 sections are straight and same length.
As a general rule, a rod in excellent condition will be just as it came from the manufacturer except it will have been fished a few times.

Homel has objective measurable criteria for condition. If you send me pictures, give me a very good feedback, I will e-mail you more details.

If any of the assumptions are wrong, then all conclusions are equally off.
Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey