Fishing/antique fishing rod

Question
I recently found what i believe to be a very old fishing rod at a yard sale. So far, i have not been able to find any information about it or anything that looks comparable to it on the Internet. The entire pole appears to be made of some kind of metal. It has a bit of weight to it in the handle but do to its unusual shape, the rod end is very light. Rather that the usual cylindrical shape of the pole, it has a flat "two poled" rod. the handle bares the markings "patent pending" on one side, and "hi power, storm lake" on the other. any idea what this pole is or where it came from?

Answer
Caitlyn,
I am in Arvada .
I have seen a lot of metal rods but they are not common. They are not collected wither so you will probably not fins much on them.
I have cast them and found them to be poor fly fishing tools. Casting maybe ok.
I did find a little history on steel rods in Classic and Antique Fly Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors and Anglers By A. J. Campbell
Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide  by Homel, Dan. 1997 #2nd edition 2000# add about 30% for age of book.

There is also a lot of information on this web site, http://www.allexperts.com ,on steel rods and can be searched.

Here are several values for poor, good, excellent condition respectively from Homel.

Armax
Telescopic steel fly/bait rod 9' with reversible handle    20   50   100
Tubular steel bait casting rod 4 1/2'  c.1930          20   45   95
 Abbey & Imbrie " steel pack rod by Horton 4 1/2'  c.1915 12   30   60
LL Bean Solid steel octagonal baitcasting rods c.1938    4   12   30
Bristol - Horton MFG.
Antique steel fly rod 8 1/2'  c.1905    9   28   50
Antique telescoping steel fly rod 10' maple handle    10   30   55
there are many more

You might  find these books at major libraries.

The only time I have seen these metal rods sell for more than 25 was to a restaurant to decorate a wall.
A recent search of completed items on ebay confirms the above 'guesstamate'.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.
Luck,
Mac  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey