Fishing/Reels from the past

Sometime in the mid sixties I was camping & cat fishing with grandparents of family friends in Kansas.  The grandmother, Sylvia, would take a Coleman lantern to walk around the lake and check her poles several times during the night to see if she caught anything.  The reels she used I'm pretty sure we're Zebco's but the unusual feature of the reels was that the cranks were on the back of the reels rather than on the sides... Almost like a propeller on a plane engine.  Do you know what reels/models they could have been?
Thanks MDream

Hi Mike,

Yes, I swear I have seen those but I cant find anything on them.  But that said, I am not the "old tackle " expert on this site.  Please run this past Joe Douglas or Rich McGaughey on this site and they will be able to help you.

Good luck,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.