Fishing/Riverside Steel Rod

fly rod picture
fly rod picture  

rod picture
rod picture  
I have a telescoping steel fly rod it is tubular round.  when it is in stored position it is a little over 3' long, fully extended it is a little over 8'long the bottom section is a tad over 3' feet while each of the other 3 section are a little under 3' feet. I would think it is around a 4 weight flex.  the eyes are all steel and the reel seat is steel or nickel finished.  The reel seat is forward of the handle which is cork.  On the reel seat it has the following...Riverside Steel Rod under that is a emblem made in a heart shape composed of 2 fish hooks, inside the heart is a structure of some type.  beneath that is the name Abbey & Imbrie New York.  I would appreciate knowing the age  and any other information you may have..Thanks   Devoy

First this is not a bamboo fly rod and therefor history and information is not going to be easily found. Resale value is also low.
I have seen several metal rods and they not good fishing tools. They were heavy and hard to cast.
Abby and Imbrie sold not manufactured fishing gear.

Field and Stream, Volume 21 mentions your rod:

Your rod is not mentioned in any of my books or memory

Age is 20s to 40s give or take 5 years

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.