Fishing/orvis bamboo fly rod

It was my dads fly rod. 7 1/2 ft. Long, 3 1/2 oZ. #6 line.  Madison  H.D.G (6) is on the base rod.. never used has case and slip.

I am assuming you want an estimate.
The rod - is bamboo if flat sided or graphite / fiberglass if round. And if the reel seat is not below the handle all of the following assessment has no meaning.
I could  use the Orvis database if I had a serial number , Orvis Bamboo Rod Production ~ 1940 to 2008: A Collector's Reference Copyright 2003-2008 James Gregory Reynolds          
 I never trust cloth socks and tubes for id, they can easily be switched.

Price Book Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.

Homel gives the "Madison" fly rod 7 1/2' bamboo fly rod , 2 sections, one tip the value of $100, 210 and  for poor, good, excellent condition respectively# Be careful unless you have seen a number of bamboo rods# Most people tell me their rod is in mint or excellent condition, very few are right.
Orvis is still in business and you can read their history at

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.