Fishing/Sharpe's Scottie Featherweight

I inherited what I am sure is a 2 piece 8"6" #7 rod. It has the "Impregnated" "Scottie" and "Featherweight" markings on it.  It is still in the original cloth divider with a tag identifying it and encased in an aluminum tube that further identifies it. My problem is the serial number. The only numbers I can find on it are stamped on the butt cap and they read 1 (space) 2 with the number 31 stamped underneath the 1   2. Can you help me date the rod from this info?
Thank you,

I am  a USA bamboo trout fly rod guy - knowing rods from the 1940s on. I am going to send you some information here . I have had some Scotties and they were nice rods but from the UK.
You have a Scottish rod made by a very good company.
History :
The were in business from 1920 to 1971 when purchased by Farlows.

Farlows are the Orvis of the United Kingdom. They have been around since the 1800s and continue on today. See their website at
This old Colorado boy has actually bought some fly tying tools there,  but they  are basically a fly shop , lots  of salmon stuff so not like the fly shops we have here in the west US.
And  try Farlows of London

You might try this forum with your partial serial number
I am in the western USA and rarely see a Sharpes and they are barely mentioned in my books.

You might try:

similar sites in the UK are

An article on Sharpes:

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.

Homel has 4 fly rods from Sharpe, all Scottie models of various  lengths. The impregnated are a little less value which coincides with my experience.
Homel gives the J. S. Sharpe 8  model "Scottie" fly rod 8 1/2'  with no extra tip, 2 sections the  value of  $40, 130 and $210 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively. Since the book is old and your rod is longer , it's a push and I would guess those figures are pretty close.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.