Fishing/bait casting reel

Question
box
box  

reel
reel  
Mark I recently come across these baitcasting reels I was wondering if you could tell me anything about them. The box says     NO.3 "CLICK" Precision Casting Reel
80 Yard Capacity          Lawrence Tackle MFG. CO.
Nickle plated          New York, N.Y.
         Made in U.S.A.

Answer
Hello Andrew and Merry Christmas...

Forgive me for the delay in answering.

The reel you found is somewhat common ( I have owned a couple in the past for novelty sake) but I am having a heck of a time researching the history on the company.

The reels, from what I can gather, were entry level, post WWII reels and these two are known as "Knuckle busters" because the reel spool and handle turn when you cast; they have no free-spool mechanism nor level-wind. The "Click" feature was used in two distinct ways: To slow the spin of the spool while being cast and to alert the angler of a fish taking line.

Level-winding reels were also manufactured during this time and became the standard.

The NY, NY address was for the marketing division of the company and the manufacturing division (factory) was located in Massachusetts. I will be trying to gather more information on them. I would really like to know if you have a patent number on either the reels or the box; that would allow a search of the U.S. Patent and trademark office archives and get us a bit more info.

I know this is very little information considering my average answer but rest assured, I will continue to try and gather more.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas-

Mark  

Fishing

Mark Rimmer