Fishing/hexagonal bamboo fly rod age...

company name on rod
company name on rod  

Ends of rods
Ends of rods  
Dear Rich,

I am married to an avid fly fisher and wanting to do something nice I purchased online a 'antique rod'   I am not sure what i was expecting but what arrived i would not say is '100 yrs' old or more as was told in the advert.
I am sending pictures to see if you can make out what this is before my husbands party in April for his 50th.
If it is not something that I can hand him, could you please advise me on what i am looking for so as to not fall into this trap again.

Kind regards,

GJ Anderson

I think he will appreciate it, as it is from his wife. He can hang it on the wall.
I have a few gifts like this.
Can you send me the advert? This rod is not 100 years old. It was made from 1946 to about the 1970s in Japan. It is worth less than $50 US or 37.96 Euro. May I ask how much you paid for it?
The metal is too new to be 100 years old.
This rod is not a good fishing tool, it is not even made of the Chinese type of bamboo (tonkin) that most vintage rods are made of. It is Japanese ,at the time considered to be junk.
I am an old guy and remember that made in Japan at that time  meant the product was poorly made.
I will be glad to assist you in the purchase of a gift. Where have you been looking?
I  just went to ebay UK, assuming you were in England, Scotland or Wales. Searched for "bamboo fishing rod" and found several Hardy, South Bend, and  Walker which are reasonable priced around 50 Euro. Don't be surprised to see them also priced at 1000s ,too.
Please feel free to e-mail me
I wish someone had steered my wife on a couple of purchases, so it would be my pleasure.

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.