Fishing/Old fly rods

1st Fly Rod =   This rod is thought to be a Goodwin Granger GA7030 from what I can find on the
     Internet, but I'm not sure about Model type.          
     On handle is written  PAT APR 12 1938, PAT. NO. 2114107, MADE BY GOODWIN
     GRANGER  COMPANY, DENVER. This is a Bamboo rod.
     The full length from heel to tip is 90" or 7 1/2’.
     First section or reel end, is 20 1/2" from cork handle to tip end or 31" from heel to
     The cork handle is 6 3/4" long.
     The reel holder screwed all the way out for reel is 4" from end to cork.
     Reel tightener Screw is a knob on the end to tighten in reel.
     Second section is 30 1/2" full length.
     The 3rd and tip section is 30 1/2" full length. There are 2  same length tip sections.
     The rod is in (good) shape except cork handle is a little dirty from use.
     Has a aluminum rod tube with green cloth rod holder inside. No tags on rod tube.
     I would like to know this rod worth, model no, and who made it.

2nd Fly Rod =   I don't know as much about this Bamboo Rod
     It has written on Bamboo reel section rod, DOUBLE BUILT X PERT " 20 " .
     I cannot find any other writings or numbers on this rod.
     It came in a black cardboard type rod tube with no stickers on it. Also has the green
     cloth rod holder.
     It came with 2 same length 36 1/2” rod tips.
     Reel holder end is 3 3/8" to cork. Screw tighten from cork side toward the end to
     tighten reel in.
     The cork is 5 3/4" long with a beveled medal ring on rod side of cork. It also has
     a hook holder ring at this point.
     It is 98 1/2" from cork to tip of rod.
     It is 27 1/8" from beveled ring to end of the 1st section.
     It's 36 1/2" total length of reel end section.
     2nd rod section is 36 1/2" long.
     3rd or tip ends, (2 each) are 36 1/2" long.
     Total length of rod from end to tip is 9' or 108”.
     Rod is in good shape. Cork is a little dirty from use.
     I would like to know Model number, rod type, and it's worth, and who made it.

I assume your rods are both 6 flat sides ,made of bamboo  and fly rods (reel below handle).
If any of the above isn’t accurate please know the conclusions are equally off.

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide by Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.
First Fly Rod:
This rod was made from 1926 to 1939 in my home town of Denver, Co. His name was Goodwin Granger  who made good , medium priced rods.
History of Goodwin Granger Rod Co.

Homel gives the Goodwin Granger  7.5  model “Favorite" trout fly rod #c 1930# with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $150, 300 and $650  for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.  Your rod is probably a Favorite , model number is GA7030

2nd Fly Rod was made by South Bend in Indiana. It was invented by a renown rod maker, Wes Jordan. It is probably a "Cross Double Built Model 266" fly rod 9' #3/2# c.1950 . Homel gives this rod with an extra tip, 3 sections a value  of $40,100 and 185   for poor, good, and excellent condition respectively.   Type is trout fly rod.

History of South Bend

If you want me to evaluate condition, I need not blurry, detailed close up photos to

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.