Fishing/Rod value ?

Question
Rod w/ bag and tube
Rod w/ bag and tube  

tube labeling - bag - Rod
tube labeling - bag -  
Rich,
I have an Orvis impregnated bamboo rod
Flea 6 1/2' 2 oz. HFG4 1Tip
serial #78423
Metal tubing w/stamped screw cap top labeled
Very good condition
I was wondering if you could get me a value for this
peice

Answer
Carl,         
My first thought to you is, how do you know it is a model Flea? Which if any of the following is from the bag/be and which is from the rod; “Orvis impregnated bamboo rod Flea 6 1/2' 2 oz. HFG4 1 Tip serial #78423”?
I have not found bag information not to be 100% reliable.
For example when put together is it actually 6.5 feet?

The rod was built by a well known maker, Orvis who has been around since the US civil war.
The Serial #78423 is not in my database I down loaded some years ago and have verified. It is not usual that Orvis rods are not in my list.

According to Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan, 1997 ,2nd edition 2000, the 6.5" Flea" fly rod with an extra tip,2 piece  is valued at $125, 300 and $500 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively. You might search eBay for prices as well.

Orvis is still in business and can help you as well as history:
http://www.orvis.com/intro#asp?subject=447&bhcp=1

My experience is that you can call Orvis 888-235-9763, they have a non digital , paper source with more complete serial numbers. But if you ask for a value they will put you off but if you ask for age, maker, and model then you will get some info.

Good Luck
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey