Fishing/Bristol Built

I have just purchased a split cane fly rod from a person in England.
The rod is marked Bristol Built   Edwards Bristol  FB12-9'.
I bought it from curiosity as I live in Bristol England. But I hope to use it on my local streams around the city of Bath.
It would be wonderful to know when the rod was built etc.
Bob Williams

E.W. Edwards was a highly respected rod maker. Most of the information I have on his rods are from:

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.
Classic & Antique Fly-Fishing Tackle: A Guide for Collectors & Anglers by A.J. Campbell

Playing With Fire: The Life and Fly Rods of E.W. Edwards  by Patrick C. Garner.

Bristol was one of several companies who sold EW's rods. In fact it was the last one. Your rod is dated from 1931 to 1932 , when E.W. died. I doubt if your rod was built by EW ,it was his design but poorer materials. Most are  are sold for too much money.

I am aware of a model 12 but 8.5" and 18 at 9 ".

Homel gives the Edwards Bristol 8 1/2'  model Model F-7 fly rod with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $55, 170 and $295 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively.

Homel gives the Edwards Bristol Model F-18 fly rod 9' with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $50, 145 and $260 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively.

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with Bristol England unless Bristol Connecticut was named after your Bristol.

On eBay finished Edwards Bristol Model F-18 fly Rod $310  item # 200868686626b in December.It is just not worth that.

history on line of E.W. with models and prices:

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.