Fishing/Fishing Miwaukee harbor

I was reading your article that was In-Fisherman(an old issue). Where would you suggest fishing the harbor from shore, where should I park, and does the time of day make a difference? I want to try your tube method and I'm planning to go April 2nd or 3rd. Would you recommend the 3/8 or the 1/4 jig with a 3" or 3.5" white tube?

Hi Ward,

Yes, I would recommend the pearl tubes.  Three or three and a half inches would be a good choice.  A three-eights ounce head is my most widely used weight for depths of 12-20 feet.

As far as where to fish, it's impossible to say right now.  Thats a day to day call.  There are about 20 shore fishing locations just in the city of Milwaukee.  It all depends on wind and water clarity.  Look for areas that are wind-blown.  They will have the most active fish.  Each access area has a parking area.  Parking isn't an issue here.  

As far as time of the day, early mornings and evenings are best, but in early April it is still possible to catch fish all day long if there is some cloud cover.  The prime times are first light and last light.  

We are off to a very slow start this year.  In fact the harbor re-froze this week.  Its been a very cold winter and the water is hovering right around freezing.  Still colds nights have it crusting over, only to open up later in the afternoon.

Good luck,

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.