Fishing/Fishing Setup/Spinning rod

Question
hey , i have a question about a setup for my Abu garcia Vendetta Rod6"6. im looking at abu garcia saros FA, Shimano Saros FA Series or quantum Smoke PT ......all kinda same price range.... If you could help me out thatd be great.   Trying to get back into fishing ...mostly fresh water ... Thanks Alot !

Answer
Hello Lacrosse, thanks for the question.

I have not as yet tested the rods and reels you are asking about. With that in mind, I will encourage you to "try before you buy" by placing each reel on the rod that best serves you.

The Abu VNT66-5 is rated for 6-12lb mono, is rated as a medium power per Abu standards and has a medium fast taper. This taper places the majority of the action in the upper 25-30%. She is rated for 1/8 - 1/2oz lure weights. The VNT66-6 is rated for 8-14lb mono and 1/4-3/4oz lure weights. This model is considered a medium heavy action and a fast taper. This taper will likely place the majority of the flex in the rod to the upper 25%. Fast and extra fast tapers are my personal choices for most situations and allow the angler more accuracy with less effort in casting. So you will simply have to decide what line test you'd most often fish and select the rod that has that test as close to the middle of the range as possible. I believe the 66-5 would be most useful.

VNTS66-5 (1265487)    6' 6"    6 to 12    M    MF    1/8 to 1/2
VNTS66-6 (1265489)    6' 6"    8 to 14    MH    F    1/4 to 3/4

So now onto the reels. I am a huge fan of Abu casting reels but have just never fancied their spinning reels. With that said, I have also not fished your choices of reels either. However, I am VERY familiar with and own the Spirex,Sedona,Sahara and Symetre reels by Shimano. They all are solid platforms and have decent drag systems. The Saros should be no less...likely more. I am just beginning to test the quantum products and will post later on my blog.

The decision for you will be matching the line test to the range of line tests on the rod you choose. The Saros weighs in at a chunky 9.4oz and has 5 good quality ball bearings. Your decision would be based once again on the line...do you need the extra yardage the 3000FA offers vs the 2500? Both have drag systems that can provide far more pressure than the line tests will ever take. I would probably opt for the 2500 unless you will find yourself taking fish that can spool the slightly smaller amount of line that it holds. (Silver salmon? Steelhead?) Then I checked out your third reel choice...the Quantum Smoke. If the bearings are at least the quality of the Shimano bearings, you'll get 9 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing vs 5 ball bearings with the Shimano and the Quantum comes in at nearly 2oz. lighter! That makes the Quantum a VERY serious contender!

SAR2500FA    6/200, 8/140, 10/120  5   6.0:1    9.4 oz
SAR3000FA    6/230, 8/170, 10/140  5   6.0:1    9.4 oz

SL30PTI        150 yds. / 10lb.   9+1   5.2:1   7.8 oz.

So for the most versatile set-up? I'd very likely opt for the Abu Vendetta VNTS66-5 and the Quantum...just looks like the most bang for the buck! Just remember to think about the most common fish you chase...there will always be another set-up for another situation...just like golf clubs...or if you need a comparison for the Misses...gotta have another rod and reel just like she needs another pair of shoes with a matching handbag!

Hope that helps-

Mark  

Fishing

Mark Rimmer