Fishing/smallmouth fishing in June

I am trying to set up a bass fishing trip for my two sons, grandson and myself to your state in June 2013. We will be fishing from a small powered pontoon boat.Will be a multi-day trip. Where would you recommend we plan to fish this time of year for the best possible results?

Hi James,

If you can tell me about where in the state or a particular lake I can get a better read for you.  

In general, the smallies will still be shallow at that time of the year.  The love shallow rocky areas on sunny days.  Shallow rocky shorelines or bars and points with hard bottoms.  

Crawfish jigs, wacky worms, small 4" (or less) plastics on jigs.  Suspending jerkbaits like Rogues or x-raps.  And to cover a bunch of water, a #3 Mepps spinner always works well.  If I had to have one bait it would be a 4" Senko type worm, wacky rigged.

Let me know where you are going and I will be able to get more detailed.

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.