Fishing/Southbend fly rod

Question
Rod hardware
Rod hardware  
Label
Label  
QUESTION: Hello

I just purchased a rod at a yard sale in Phoenix that is labelled 55 on a canvas label on the cork handle.
The rod is remarkably like the one you commented on here iN January of last year.
The seller said it was his grandfathers.

The cork appears to have been reworked and is sectional. The label was coming off so I removed it completely and the cork was bright and clean under it.

What your opinion?

Thanks

Joe

ANSWER: Joe
My opinion is essentially the same,I repeat it ( But you added a picture so read more at then end)

I have never seen a SB rod label on the cork handle . Am I getting your picture right ? I have seen over fifty and have books that say your number 55 and a label should be on the rod itself. The first 55 was made in 1936. It was their Best of Luck Series, the lowest cost of a low quality rod  costing $2.50. The model continued through the end of SB bamboo rods in the early 50s.
Without a confirmation that your rod has labels, writing or logos on the bamboo itself, your rod has no value.
I confirm my information in Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair .

Price Book:
Antique & Collectible  Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997 (2nd edition 2000) add about 30% for age of book.

Homel doesn't mention the 55 but gives the SB Model #46 trout fly rod 8 1/2' . 1940  with an extra tip, 3 sections the  value of  $40, 100 and $195 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively. If your rod is a SB then these figures would be close but I would need more information to confirm that. I would need detailed pictures and descriptions of all writing , labels and logos on the rod itself. As well, general pictures showing the handle, the reel seat , the ferrules and guides.

QUESTION: Thankyou for your response. Yes, you are seeing the picture correctly, the label is on the handle. There are no other identifying marks on the rod. So, if I am understanding you correctly, my rod has no value?

Kyle,
No we can't say your rods has low or high value because we can't Id it properly.
To get a maker model  I would need more information. I would need detailed pictures and descriptions of all writing , labels and logos on the rod itself. As well, general pictures showing the handle, the reel seat , the ferrules and guides. to macsrods@yahoo.com
My guess is that is as you say "mass produced"
luck
Mac  

I'd support your rod is a South Bend and worth about $100.
Luck,
Mac

Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.

QUESTION: Thank you.
Not so concerned as to value as I will prob fish with it.
Does the hardware and windings appear as if they are sb?

I think perhaps someone took the bag label off and put it on the rod.

Do you think that this is the same rod that you critiqued prior

I do appreciate your input.

Joe

Answer
Joe
Does the hardware and windings appear as if they are sb? YES

I think perhaps someone took the bag label off and put it on the rod. maybe or it came that way

Do you think that this is the same rod that you critiqued prior , YES

I appreciate your question.
If you decide to fish it ,make ure the finish is smooth ,run your finger over it ,and complete. Make sure there is no loose threads. And even so, dry it off when not on the water.

Mac

Fishing

Rich Mac McGaughey