Fishing/Harnell Rod

Harnell Rod
Harnell Rod  

I've just found a Harnell Saltwater rod/reel hidden in a crawl space for the last 30-40 years.  It is 7', aluminum but with  a blocky mahogany looking handle with goldish vertical lines.  At the top of the handle are 3 gold rings.  The white rubber fore grip has the Harnell insignia but I can find no other model #'s anywhere.
The reel is a Penn Senator 6/0.  Attached are some photos, thanks for any info you can provide

Hi Scott,

Harnell was in business from the 50's to the 70's.  The reel is probably the same vintage.  The rod was made in california.  Its worth about $100-$150.  The 6/0's were very popular and go for about $30-$50 now on e-bay.

Its a great piece of memoribilia.

Marc Wisniewski

I can answer questions relating to all types of freshwater fishing, tackle, and tactics. I also can answer questions regarding rod building, lure making, and lure modification. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

My expertise is in Bass, Pike, Musky and the Great Lakes species. I have a lot of experience in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan in particular. With regard to Rod building, I have built custom rods since 1978. I have been building and designing lures for 35 years. I currently sell several of my lures both locally and nation wide. I have done work for several lure companies such as Mepps, Storm, Cisco Kid, and Suick. I am not an expert at the value of old rods, reels, or lures.

Wisconsin DNR Lake Michigan Forum (elected position). Friends of Lakeshore State Park, Milwaukee, WI

Two monthly columns in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, Writer of the weekly Lake Michigan Fishing Report in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, The In-Fisherman Magazine(since 1986), Musky Hunter Magazine, The Badger Sportsman, Woods and Waters Magazine, The Mepps Fishing Guide, Do-It Molds website, and I have been a guest on WGN Radio (Chicago) on their Saturday Outdoor program.

I have an engineering background.