Fishing/Heddon blue water 8' 3 piece bamboo

Question
How can I determine the proper line weight for this rod?The markings are gone,it was refinished and they either forgot to mark them down or just didn't want to ink them back on.Without any line on the rod it flexes full(from top of grip to tip).I tried 5# line and it felt stiff,not a smooth cast,compared to the Winston I usually use.I don't think 4# is going to be that much different,or am I going the wrong direction,and try a 6#?Thanks

Answer
Hello Stephen and thanks for the question.

It sounds as though you likely have a Model 10 and as you may know they are very popular amongst split cane aficionados.

You are not wrong in trying the different lines to get the feel of the rod. If the rod feels stiff, I would certainly try the 6 wt. line or perhaps a 5WF... (If that is not the size 5 you tried...) and in my experience with split cane, they are very commonly parabolic; flexing consistently from tip to butt. The tapers were engineered this way to facilitate a gentle, accurate presentation.

Since the markings are gone you will have to "guestimate" or determine the ferrule sizes you have on the rod.

I would be best serving you by referring your question to another expert here on AllExperts...Joe Douglas, for further information...he is a virtual split cane guru.

No matter what you choose, you likely have a fine American collectable for your collection...keep fishing it!

- Mark  

Fishing

Mark Rimmer