Fishing/jc higgins pole

QUESTION: I found a five and a half foot bam boo two pice jc higgins pole its a green sticker.I cant find any numbers on it to refrance Im hopeing you can tell me something about the pole. I would like to find out the value of the pole. If I should look into restoratoin or leave it the way it is
         Thank You
         Tim White

ANSWER: Timothy
First the fishing tool is called a rod not a pole. Less than honest people will see you coming and possibly take advantage of you, with that terminology.

5 1/2 feet if not broken is probably a spin/ cast rod. If the reel seat is above the handle then you have a fly rod, If not a bamboo fly rod, then it is not worth cash value to restore it.

JC Higgins is a Searsís lower priced bamboo rod.

Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997, 2nd edition 2000 gives the value for the 9 ft model 3031, with an extra tip, 3 piece, at $25, 55 and $95 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively. This is the best price for any Higgins model. Yours would be comparable.

The book gives a complete set of criteria for conditions. I have found it at most libraries.  Most people over evaluate their rod's condition.

The JC Higgins were private label reels made for Sears.  Unfortunately, there are quite a few out there and they aren't worth very much to collectors.  Probably $10-$20.

I quote these books written by researchers so you know I am not making it all up, But I include my experience as well.

Luck,  Mac
Please provide feedback, nominations are appreciated.  

QUESTION: Thank you for the information on my rod. would you recommend someone possibly in California to refurbish the rod and.could you tell me what reel would of matched this rod when firs made.

I don't know anyone in CA.
Everyone I know who does  restorations does it mail order, including me.

5 1/2 feet if not broken is probably a spin/ cast rod. Is the reel seat is above the handle ? Is it a fly rod. If not a bamboo fly rod, then it is not worth cash value to restore it.
If it is a  fly rod, get a small light big arbor reel.

Rich Mac McGaughey

I can answer questions on graphite fly rod building and bamboo rod restoration and making. I can guide people to restorers . I can guide people to rod building components on the internet as well as catalog. I can help them identify and value their bamboo fly rods with a picture .

If you are asking for the id of an old rod

please give a complete description send pictures especially labels or logos with detailed thorough description** to me and a complete including as much the following as you can: Is it? fly or casting rod ? Reel seat is below or above the cork handle ? Check metal for id and patents ? What is it made of; bamboo ( flat sided) fiberglass or graphite ( round)? Weight in oz? What is the diameter of the rod above the cork? Where was it purchased ? What type of metal nickel-silver, tin, or chrome platted brass? A complete description of any logos or labels. Length of rod per section and number of sections. Total rod length.

Please read the following if the rod has either of the following two labels

Montague or H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson).

They are looked down upon by the collecting community and often they are justified. They were mass produced , rather heavy and very slow. They are not going to resale for very much.

Two books are available at larger libraries to get history and or value:
Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods: Identification & Value Guide Homel, Dan. 1997
Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook -Michael Sinclair

Commission Sales

Because of my knowledge I can help you sell and get a good price for your vintage bamboo fly rod. email email Mac

I have been restoring bamboo fly rods for 15 years and making graphite for 17 .

website = click home page

**example of a thorough description of a label: The Shakespeare decal is olive green ovals with gold foil banner bearing the word "Shakespeare" in script. The remainder of the of the lettering is block style reading on top Honor Built and on the bottom of oval , Made in USA. The writing is away from the grip.